Intern - Communications
FarmTree is a start-up service provider specialised in forecasting the impact of diverse agricultural systems with the in-house developed tool and model “FarmTree Tool”. The FarmTree Tool has been used to project land use performance and carry out ex-ante impact assessments for multiple world-known organisations in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Europe. Making those projections can help farmers and their supporters in making sustainable decisions about their land use.
The FarmTree Tool is a software-based model with an online user-friendly interface that can forecast economic, environmental and social impact of agricultural scenarios. For example yields, revenues, production costs, labour requirements, water and nutrient balances in the soil, carbon sequestration, and many more. The FarmTree Tool combines site-specific soil and climate data with tree/crop biophysical variables and farm-level information into a "Plot scenario", to generate plot impact projections. Such projections then summarise the long-term performance of existing conventional plots, which can be compared with the performance of alternative investment scenarios, such as agroforestry systems.
Through this, FarmTree contributes to the realisation of Sustainable Development Goals i.e. no poverty, biodiversity, climate action, and gender equity.
Submit your application by 31 December 2023
FarmTree is looking for a passionate and skilled communications intern to strengthen the company’s outreach. The intern will work closely with the Innovation Team in organizing the work, preparing communications strategies, implementing outreach activities, and taking care of external communication channels. In particular, the intern will support the team in increasing the FarmTreeTool’s visibility and reach to potential users and partners.
Interns should be registered (currently studying) at a University or other
- Communication strategy: co-creation and implementation of communication and dissemination strategies of the company and FarmTree Tool projects. It may include the development of targeted communication strategies for different user/client segments.
- Communication activities: this may include different activities depending on the identified communication priorities, including: oversight and content creation for social media channels such as LinkedIn, website design and maintenance, production of newsletters, videos, and graphic materials with unified formats and layout, and publishing via the FarmTree website. Proofreading and strengthening internal and external documentation and presentations, in terms of content delivery and graphic design.
- Additional tasks may include but are not limited to: assisting the company’s involvement in hybrid and in-person events; such as project meetings, science webinars, networking events, etc.
- Undergoing BSc or equivalent degree in the field of communication, marketing and/or graphic design; combined with experience/interest in science communication OR undergoing BSc or equivalent in agronomy, forestry, environmental sciences or related; combined with experience/interest in science communication, marketing and/or graphic design
- Enthusiastic about agricultural and environmental sciences, sustainable development, agroforestry, and/or modelling of socio-economic and environmental impacts
- Experience/interest in crafting effective communication strategies, creating website content, and managing other communication channels, such as social media and newsletters
- Excellent verbal and written command of English
- You are a team player and enjoy working in close collaboration with colleagues
- Available for a internship of 6 months (32-40 hours/week), and regular in person presence in our Wageningen office (2 days a week)
- Available to travel for events (if required)
Nice to have
- Affinity for producing multimedia materials (video editing, graphic design skills)
- Experience using one or more graphic design platforms (Adobe Creative, Miro, Canva or similar)
- Working knowledge of Spanish and French or another working language in a target area.
- A creative mindset and positive attitude
What We Offer
FarmTree offers a pleasant and dynamic working environment, with room for individual initiative and development. At FarmTree you will be warmly welcomed in an enthusiastic, diverse and fast-growing international team. As an intern you will be linked to the company's Innovation team and guided by an internal expert. After an initial intake, work will take place according to a jointly agreed Terms of Reference. Results will be incorporated into the FarmTree strategy and documentation. We might consider long-term commitment to the company if collaboration is fruitful.
Our job offer includes the following:
Business for development
Capture knowledge for practical use
We welcome co-entrepreneurs
Bring ideas, we love it!
Companies, organizations, knowledge-institutes