Interns Modelling: Soil fertility, Biodiversity, Carbon
FarmTree is a start-up service provider specialising in supporting landscape restoration initiatives, in particular Agroforestry, through impact quantification. FarmTree's mission is to ‘make cost-benefit analysis accessible to smallholder farmers and their supporters’. The FarmTree flagship instrument is the FarmTree® Tool that forecasts economic, environmental and social impact of Agroforestry scenarios. Through this, FarmTree contributes to the realisation of Sustainable Development Goals such as no poverty, biodiversity, climate action, and gender equity.
To this end, FarmTree is developing advisory products, including
- Agroforestry system capture
- Agroforestry scenario performance projections
- Land restoration project economic and financial analysis
- Single-issue tools for financial or carbon balance planning
FarmTree's tool are based on a combination of field data capture and IT development with the aim to unlock information that agroforestry practitioners require in project planning and monitoring.
Submit your application by 30 November 2022
To further develop FarmTree's service delivery and software tools, the company is seeking for interns to support the ICT & Modelling team as well as the Advisory Team; particularly with regards to make its FarmTree® Model more thorough, and linking it to state-of-the-art societal and scientific developments. Most urgently FarmTree requires interns with the following expertise:
- soil science / nutrition management, soil data retrieval and linkage to the FarmTree Model
- biodiversity indicator application in the FarmTree Model, and linkage to certification standards
- carbon sequestration in agroforestry systems, and linkage to certification standards
FarmTree offers a pleasant and dynamic working environment, with room for individual initiative and development. Interns will be linked to the company's Advisory team and guided by an internal expert. After an initial intake, work will take place according to a jointly agreed ToR. Results will be incorporated into the FarmTree Model code and documentation; preferably in the shape of a working paper to-be-published.
You love playing with numbers for real-life decision support. You are eager to bring in your expertise; networks with relevant departments at universities. You might consider long-term commitment to the company if collaboration is fruitful.
- Soil expert: document and further elaborate the current FarmTree model soil module
- Biodiversity expert: document and develop the current FarmTree model biodiversity module
- Carbon expert: document and further elaborate the current FarmTree model soil module
Insofar possible, link model outcomes to existing certification standards (Plan Vivo, Gold Standard, Rainforest Alliance, or other)
- Document the above in a publishable report or working paper
- BSc in agronomy, soil science, forestry, system modelling, or comparable
- Interest in a modelling approach to sustainable agriculture
- Enthusiastic about Sustainable Development, Agroforestry, Smallholder farming, or all of them
- Regular presence in our Wageningen office (2 days a week)
- Fluent in oral and written English
Nice to have
- Access to soil, climate, plant etc databases and know-how how to retrieve data
- Working knowledge of database setup and management (SQL or other)
- Know-how of quantitative methods, calibration algorithms, etc.
- Working knowledge of Spanish, French, Bahasa Indonesia, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Arabic, or another working language in a target area
- Field experience in Agroforestry, smallholder farming
What We Offer
At FarmTree you will be warmly welcomed in an enthusiastic, diverse and fast-growing international team.
Our job offer includes the following:
Business for development
Capture knowledge for practical use
We welcome co-enterpreneurs
Bring ideas, we love it!
Companies, organisations, knowledge institutes