Coffee Agroforestry Expert
FarmTree is a start-up service provider specialising in supporting landscape restoration initiatives, in particular Agroforestry, with regards to technical advice, enterprise development, and impact quantification. FarmTree mission is to ‘make cost-benefit analysis accessible to smallholder farmers and their supporters’. The FarmTree flagship instrument is the FarmTree® Tool that forecasts economic, environmental and social impact of Agroforestry scenarios. FarmTree supports the realisation of Sustainable Development Goals such as no poverty, biodiversity, climate action, gender equality, and more.
FarmTree is developing advisory products such as ‘Agroforestry system capture and scenario development’, ‘Expert / farmer Agroforestry planning tool, ‘Project economic and financial analysis’, and ‘single-issue tools’ for financial or carbon balance planning. All tools are based on a combination of field data capture and IT development with the aim to unlock information to Agroforestry practitioners.
Submit your application by 30 July 2022
- Document sustainability performance of Agroforestry options in global coffee systems through our FarmTree toolkit
- Support field partners to capture field data for documenting in the FarmTree database system
- Employ and co-design protocols to project agroforestry impact at plot, farm and landscape scale
- Contribute to the Advisory Team’s implementation protocols, and the FarmTree service portfolio
- Develop training materials based on field or partner service experiences
- MSc degree or higher in agronomy or agriculture-social or economic sciences
- At least 2 years field experience
- Report writing skills in English and one more relevant language
Interest in quantitative and modelling approaches. Interest in spreadsheet or similar data processing.
- Valid work permit for The Netherlands and ready to work part-time at the Wageningen Campus
Nice to have
- Working paper or scientific publication experience
- Working knowledge of additional languages such as Spanish, French, or an Asian language
- IT skills such as GIS data processing, python data processing or comparable, access to global (soil, climate, prices, currencies) databases. We like to be surprised by skills you can bring into the company.
- Good mood and eager to learn from peers
To support our advisory team and our growing client base in the coffee sector, we are recruiting an experienced Coffee Agroforestry Expert. At FarmTree you will join a small, ambitious and diverse team based in the Netherlands. You will support clients and expand our client base in the coffee sector. You will be based at our office in Wageningen. As our Coffee Agroforestry Expert your work will include the following:
- Work directly with clients on project implementation, including planning, coordination and execution, with a strong focus on financial and economic systems and processes. You will frequently be the lead consultant on projects and responsible for a successful implementation cycle, including training, timely delivery and making sure to stay within budget.
- Together with the rest of the team you work on project design and proposal development for prospective clients. You assess each prospect's needs and together with the team translate these into competitive offerings and winning proposals.
- You manage relationships with clients, consultants, key partners and other stakeholders. You make sure that everybody is on board and happy.
- You oversee and closely monitor KPI’s in your project portfolio, keep a clear administration and regularly report on progress.
Preferably, you have affinity with smallholder coffee agribusiness, sustainable value chains and private sector development in emerging economies. In addition you match the following profile:
- MSc. in an agronomic or natural resource management (NRM) field
- Five of more years of field or project level experience in rural development programmes in the field of sustainable agriculture, forestry or agroforestry, particularly in coffee agroforestry
- Experience in more than one geographical area ranging from Latin America, Asia or Sub-Saharan Africa
- Affinity with modelling or calculation frameworks and quantification of impact (economic and/or environmental) impact; though data processing languages and / or spreadsheet programmes
- Excellent speaking and writing capabilities in English
- Working knowledge of one or more other languages (Spanish, French, or an Asian or African language) is a strong pre
- Willingness to travel and collect data in project target areas
- Prepared to work at the FarmTree Plus Ultra office for at least 50% of the working time
What We Offer
At FarmTree you will be warmly welcomed in an enthusiastic, diverse and fast-growing international team.
Our job offer includes the following:
Salary and Benefits
A competitive salary based on your experience with 25 days paid leave & reimbursements of work-related travel costs
Flexibility & Freedom
We offer substantial freedom and flexibility in your work, engagement in a broad range of sustainability topics
The opportunity to make a world better and be at the core of the growth of a start-up that the World is desperately waiting for
Opportunity to visit project locations in the coffee regions where we work